Friday, December 21, 2018

Project XTracker: Engine paint

Cleaning the 40 years of grime off the engine was a challenge to say the least. I think I spent 3+ hrs just cleaning the engine to prep for paint. The plan was to freshen up with new black paint and to sand the paint of the sides of the cooling fins. 

All cleaned up, masked off and hanging from the garage ceiling in the Dexter (TV show) killing room-esque DIY paint booth. 


Primed with VFT engine paint primer

Dupli-colour engine enamel semi gloss black

I used a orbital sanding tool with a ~2" triangle sanding pad head to sand the paint off the fins. Fresh 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket


The contrast of the polished fins will match the wheels nicely. 

I masked off the oil sump since it is a nice aluminum part

Assembly has begun! Back in the frame

No comments:

Post a Comment